Sunday 17 January 2016

A little about me

Hi there!

Thank you for taking the time to pop by my new (and first) blog.

I thought I should start with a little information about me.

My name is Sarah-Jane, but my friends call me SJ. I am a married mother of two in Adelaide, Australia. I have recently learnt to embrace my crafty "urges" and just have a go at a few things.

Me and Hubby 

Last year a brilliant friend taught me to crochet, which once I got the hang of it, I found it very relaxing, as it made me be in the moment more.

  

  

 


Soon after, the same wonderful friend inspired me to attempt sewing again.

I had not sewed since high school. I elected to do an additional term of sewing at school because I was interested in dressmaking. I vaguely recall the hideous velvet hooded dress, and I think it was a black and white spotted short jumpsuit (it was the beginning of the 90's) that I not only made, but modelled at a school assembly to Right Said Fred's "I'm too Sexy…". Ooh yeah, I was deeply scarred!

In 2010 I got tempted again, and got a shiny new Brother sewing machine for my birthday. I got it home, I read the instructions, wound a bobbin and threaded a needle. I purchased a stack of lovely fabrics to make nappy bags, burp cloths, bibs, shorts etc… Maybe it was Right Said Fred's fault, but I couldn't gather the courage to use my machine.

But 2015 was a turning point for me, and I finally got the courage to lower the presser foot and start sewing. Despite the time that has passed, and the humiliation of my high school assembly…I find myself remembering things my teacher Mrs Creasy used to say, and I remembered my hate of "tacking" (or basting), but I can actually see why it is important now.

My first sewing project was a kwiksew skirt for my daughter, which she loved, and now I have more patterns and projects planned than I have time!


Colette Wren, version 2 but sleeveless

Peekaboo Patterns Santa Fe T-Shirt, 3/4 sleeve option


Peekaboo Patterns Janey Jump Around

    

But one thing I have come to realise is that I love sewing, and in particular with knit/stretch fabrics. I often get green with envy at the choice and variety available in the UK and the USA. I wish we had the same options in Australia. Shipping makes it cost prohibitive, but I may need to make an exception soon. But thank goodness at least for PDF patterns!

I hope this blog helps me to connect with the sewing community out there, and if possible, I hope I can inspire someone else to "lower the presser foot" too!

My kids keep asking me what is a blog? My husband explained it as keeping a diary about something that interests you, and sharing it with others. And so, my diary begins!

Thanks for reading,
SJx









No comments:

Post a Comment